Sunday, October 14, 2012

Wood pulp in our food?

I have been hearing for a while that there is a filler being added to food. I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. The ingredient is called Cellulose, which is actually wood. Yes, they shred it up and add it to our food. I've read a variety of reasons/excuses for adding it to food, such as it's an anti-caking agent, but frankly I think it's simply a way of making more money but charging us for, say Parmesan Cheese, while giving us wood pulp. So I have been reading the labels on everything in my cupboard and throwing anything out that doesn't meet my new standard. I was reading the label on, you guessed it, Parmesan Cheese and found this ingredient. Cellulose. Even though I knew it was being done, it still really shocked me. Who would think to pick up a container of cheese and find wood. I think I could get jaded. I went shopping and easily found a 100% Parmesan Cheese to replace the wood one. It was a bit more money, but the last one I had was probably a small fortune if you took out the wood I was paying good money for.

No comments:

Post a Comment