Sunday, August 18, 2013

An update to "Keeping Hens Should be Everyone's Right"



I have been writing Sidney council for nearly two years trying to get the bylaw changed to allow a few hens on residential lots. About a year ago, I was told that they were working on wording of a new bylaw. This week, unbeknownst to me, there was a council meeting to discuss it and a vote. Six people showed up against the new bylaw and none of us who wanted the new bylaw. It was reported that there was a single request for the change. There are a great many more of us. We thought the town was going forward with a new bylaw, so there was no need for a letter writing campaign. Because we weren't told, and as I didn't realize there was any debate over it, I wasn't watching for a meeting. I have been emailing the bylaw officers regularly for updates. I should have been told about the meeting and vote. I am extremely disappointed that this was dealt with in what I consider a a sneaky fashion. I would ask that anyone who lives in Sidney and would have liked to see a new bylaw, please let them know how we feel about not being given a chance to be at the meeting. 

Town of Sidney...I am really disappointed by your obvious bias and stacking the meeting in your favour.

Here is the post I wrote on my food blog outlining my plea to council.

No comments:

Post a Comment